New baitcaster operation?

Burtess

I bought a Ambassadeur 4600C3 back when LeBaron was selling off the old stock. I haven't used it yet.

The only experience I have with a baitcaster is with an old Daiwa Magforce which has the magnetic backlash control as well as manually adjusted spool tension.

This Ambassadeur has the spool tension knob but I think it also has a centrifugal spool brake system? It doesn't explain how to set it up in the manual, just that it is there. Is there need to set it up?

I will be using this on our trip to Lower Buckhorn and hope to catch my first ever muskie. I have a bunch of lures in the 1 to 1.5 oz range. I am going to pair the reel to my old Berkley Power Pole 6'6" one piece heavy action rod.

Any suggestions or tips??

Burt:)

Guest lundboy

Wow no one has answered you yet?

the reel you have is an excellent reel. The centrifugal (or friction) brake basically has small plastic sleeves which lock down (off) or slide freely back and forth on small pins inside the reel. They instill friction on the reel by flinging out and making contact on a plate inside. The faster the reel spins the more contact these sleeves make on the plate (centrifical force)

Abu is a bit different than others. The link below says this:

"ABU "C" series reels come with two centrifugal brakes that are not easily accessible and have to be removed and/or replaced with different weight brakes for adjustment. This is a special case where you'll be relying on the spool tension for adjustments instead of the brakes in everyday fishing.

Some ABUs use "flying arms" in place of the tiny blocks, but the principle for adjusting them is the same: the more “arms” are free to move, the larger the amount of braking that gets applied. Some reels (Quantum ACS II, for instance) use centrifugal brakes that may be adjusted from the outside in the same way as reels using magnetic brakes. There are also a few reels (some ABUs and Pinnacles) that use a combination of centrifugal and magnetic brakes where the adjustments are mainly made using the magnetic brakes."

you can see more info here:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Hope this helps!!

Edited by lundboy