Salmon Rods?

Douger

Later this summer I plan do do some pier fishing when the salmon come in. I've been building a stash of glow-in-the-dark Cleo's, but I need some recommendations on a rod.

I've heard downrigger rods work well, but all I really want is something entry level - a decent rod at a decent price. Something that will do the job. Any recommendations?

Thanks

-d-

any decent rod 7-10ft in length, with a spinning reel with a *good* drag and 10-15lb test

I tend to stay at 10 lb test, and toss cleos or buzz bombs.

You don't want downrigging rods, these are not meant for casting off piers.

I like 10-12 foot rods that have a nice whip to them to get more distance casting.

That covers more water = more hits.

Go with what you can afford, but I really recommend a better reel than rod, since drag is important for the angry hooked Chinook.

Have fun.

I personally use a Shimano Convergence 9' medium action rod.

but

I wish it was a medium heavy.

I also use a Daiwa Regal Xi 3500 with 12lb mono. & 30lb PowerPro.

so rod of 8'6"+ casting rod would work.

BUT most importantly... one tip I can give you is... get the lightest rod you can get...

arm does get tire a lot.

Edited by mikeymikey

If you can find one get an 11 1/2 ft Shakespeare Catera. This rod has a unique feature, all but the last 3 eyes are the double foot type. That makes the rod extremely strong, but the tip still has great sensitivity. I have chucked spoons for hours with mine without a problem. The best part of this rod is that you can chuck spoons for salmon/rainbow, bottom fish, and it is even long enough to make a fairly decent float rod. Making it very versatile it should run you about 60 bucks if you can still find one, since they stopped making it when they introduced the Agility line. I have seen some of the them in local stores in London though.