Grand River Makes Up For a Bad Opener

danbouck

We were down at the cottage in Long Point for the opener on the bay. Only caught 6 smallies between the 4 of us. At least they were all between 12 and 14 inches. We were in the wrong spots at the wrong time so we headed back in at noon.

Today me and my brother got the rafts out to go for a little trip down the grand. It was smallmouth after smallmouth for 4 hours. Between the 2 of us we caught about 50 or so. Biggest of which was a 18" beauty caught by my brother jasonb. These river bass put up a great fight compared to the ones out of a lake. At the end I decided to keep 3 nice ones for dinner. :thumbsup_anim: tasted great! It was a great day on the river, both of us caught our personal best river smallies. My best was a 15 1/2" 2.5 pounder. Planning on doing it again next weekend. (Planning on bringing the camera next time)

Sounds like quite the successful day!

I went to the grand for a bit today in Kitchener but was quickly discouraged. There is so much sea weed floating in the water, on top and underneath. It's been like this for a couple weeks now, hopefully it will subside?? It's kinda frustrating when every cast you're guaranteed to catch 5LBS of floating sea weed that can be 6 feet long!

Ended up walking over to the forwell gravel pit ponds and caught a bunch of sunfish just so i wasn't skunked for the day :)