1st time fishing crappie in the fall.

limeyangler

Hi all,

dropped in to the contractor business that is overseeing a heating job at our house for a progress update, living in a small town I know the manager well and have fished with him a few times, I let his boss beat me in the bass tourney though.....lol. Anyway, Mark says to me they are "hammering crappie " out on Wabigoon at the moment.

I had never thought about trying for them in the fall as mostly I am targeting fat fall walleye, and Wabigoon is not my preferred walleye fishery.

So.....all week I'm thinking about this at work, then I got the opportunity to get out for a couple hours after work. I had no clue where they were to be found so I decided to head to the deeper spots I find them ice fishing and at ice out.....seems that is where they go this time of year, bite went from erratic to ON FIRE...to who the hell flicked the off switch???

I have fished them open water before at ice out and because they are deeper and the bite can be very light I was using 6lb fluorocarbon main line with an 1/8oz jig on a very light action spin rod, live and plastic baits worked, live bait when the bite was slow, plastic when the bite was on, powerboat 1.5" grubs (pearl)

Anyway...good fun and another great fishing opportunity right on my doorstep. Here is the video of my short adventure.