Atlantic or Pacific Salmon?

Yellow14

Hi Everyone

I've been away for a while and just got back into fishing now that my kids are a bit older. My wife is out of town and my kids are in school so I took the day off and headed to the tribs to the east of Toronto. First place was a trib near Markham that is reputed to have salmon, browns and Rainbows, so far nothing south of a dam on this waterbody.

After this I headed to a related trib of the above and parked in a park/conservation area and made my way to the water. Here I found a number of salmon but maybe 10 meters away there was a sign "Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program". Now Atlantics are OOS in this zone and am standing there wondering if they are atlantics or pacifics, I was unwilling to take my chances at fishing here in because I just know that if I do a CO will appear as if by magic just as I land the fish and before I ID it.

Is there a way to tell from the behavior?

From the MNR stats for these waters they were most likely a pacific species on this trib but it is also one of the waters that is being stocked for atlantics.

I was actually looking for brook trout spots and stumbled on the salmon by accident.