Electric motor help

jjcanoe

Had new steering cable installed on an older Minnkota last month and was wondering if they need to be adjusted or tightened or lubed or greased or anything.... The motor seems to want to turn only one way when it's in the water. I can push the pedal forward and turn it but there seems to be nothing there when I push back(or the other way around sometimes). If I dry run it I get nearly a 360deg rotation. Always had a transom mount so I'm just not used to the ins and outs of that foot pedal. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a loose dohickey????

jjcanoe

I don't have much experience with bow mounts. I have one and used it a couple times. It now sits in my basement waiting to be used again. Mine is a Motorguide and may not be the same as yours, but I did once have to tighten a screw inside the shaft. I accidentally dropped it when I took it off to install a quick release and the blow loosened a set screw inside, which caused it to act pretty much like you are saying until I tightened it back up. Perhaps something in yours didn't get retightened after the install. Just a thought. As unlikely as it is.

Its great. It is exactly the right size for my boat. Used it perch fishing on Simcoe a couple weeks ago. It was much nicer than starting up the big motor every 15 minutes to move. Not that we moved around much that day. The perch were on fire. Sat on one spot for at least an hour of continuous action. Caught well over a hundred fish between the pair of us and took home a couple dozen 10-13" jumbos. Released a couple 14" breeders. Simcoe has been on fire for perch this year. Can't wait for bass to open. Hope your season has been as productive so far.