aluminum rim scratch

mr blizzard

After many years of driving a few weeks ago we bought our first and only new truck,

After washing it this morning we noticed a two inch scratch on the aluminum wheel , is there anything I can put on to make it less noticable and to protect the surface from tarnishing

Thanks John

is it polished aluminum, or painted/chromed? If it is polished you can polish the scratch out. If it is painted you should be able to buy some touchup paint from the dealer or automotive retailer. If they're chrome I'm not quite sure what you could do to fix it.

Thx Dunner, the rims look slightly darker than the scratch they could be painted chrome, thx for the help, maybe the dealer will know, in my early 50s hate to admit it dont feel it but in reality only had 4 vehicles since I have been driving, I would like the novelty to last for a couple of months lol sacrifised alot for my just turned 20 year old kid but he does not get it yet

thx for your time its kinda my new baby

john

I can tell you that after one winter with my GM trucks the factory rims start to have spots where the clear coat has blistered.I even had my 2013 rims sprayed with rust check spray and it didnt stop them from pitting and lifting the clear coat particularly near any balance weights. I think the rims are magnesium and not aluminum.

Kerry

I have a 2013 sierra and the rims were marketed as aluminum. The ones I have are aluminum rims with the chrome clad covers. I have not had any issue with peeling but know of a few who have had issues with the cladding cracking. It is essentially a piece of plastic that is glued onto the rim...

They look good but I would have preferred to have the real thing.

Mr Blizzard, I have responded to your PM.

Edited by Lape0019

I have a 2013 sierra and the rims were marketed as aluminum. The ones I have are aluminum rims with the chrome clad covers. I have not had any issue with peeling but know of a few who have had issues with the cladding cracking. It is essentially a piece of plastic that is glued onto the rim...

They look good but I would have preferred to have the real thing.

Mr Blizzard, I have responded to your PM.

Thx I tried sending a picture to u but I guess it did not go through