what do i need in my boat?

ch312

Hi Wayne,

When I was in court, I was advised that a photocopy was not acceptable as well. It had to be the original.

What it comes down to is the luck of the draw and mood of the OPP or other officer who stops you. If he or she takes a photocopy you are in luck but if not, you will be out $300 or have to go to court like I did to try and beat it. The license is free and the bottom line is that if they request it, you have to produce it.

I was on my way up to the French River on highway 69 just north of Britt when the cops pull me over and inspected my trailer. They asked for both the trailer license and the vessel license. At least this time, I had both of them with me. A friend of mine was pulled over on the 401 by the OPP and they checked it out as well. It seems that they are cracking down on vessel licenses. I think it may have to do with a large number of boats and/or trailers being stolen. The bottom line is to carry all of your vechile licenses/registrations with you and avoid the hassles of being ticketed.

Bill

Thanks for that Bill. The mistake you made was laminating it. You can't laminate any government documents anymore...like Birth Certificates for example. Easy to hide forgeries that way. When you photocopy a vehicle ownership it actually comes up and shows COPY across it so they have a better idea that it's really a valid copy. With the vessel licence..they are just printing them on a lazer printer a Services Canada now..all black ink..no hand writting or authorization signatures like they use to have. A good photocopy looks exactly the same as the original.