Short report, raining so no pics

Dave Bailey

And yeah, I'm giving away locations, not like these are big secrets anyway, I'm sure many of you have been to them.

Lucked into a run to Huntsville yesterday, so why not try the reliable town dock, says I. The answer was "yes", so the raincoat went on and the casting commenced. I've got pike here before, usually deep, so a weighted hook with an Xzone Swammer, green and white, was chucked straight out, and then hauled along near the bottom. After a few casts a snag... no... it moved. Typical pike, not much of a fight. A shade over 2ft, wasn't going to bother hauling out the tape measure for a definitely non-trophy. But still a nice way to spend a few minutes.

Hit a few other spots on the way back to Chez Bailey in Pickering, another everyone will be familiar with is the narrows on Lake Dalrymple. Serenaded by an osprey while there, strange how such a big powerful bird can sound like a sparrow or warbler. Flung a large Zara Spook, again hunting for Esox lucius, had one nice burble, no hook-up. Okay, try pulling it through the same spot... BAM! Oops, OOS largemouth, maybe 3lbs. Released quickly, and decide to head off in case I got another. No point carrying on with OOS fish.

On the way back found a Blanding's turtle nesting alongside Kirkfield Road, nice to see as they're rare in Ontario. Some areas have healthy populations, not sure how they're doing in the Carden Plain but nice to see.

Now please Boss, can you send me to Sudbury today? Smallmouth are open year-round in most of FMZ 10!