Any reports on the French River opener?

bigcreekdad

I got a call last week from a buddy who has a place in the Florida Keys. He wanted to know if I wanted to come down first week of June and fly fish for tarpon. He and I did this 3 years ago and it was awesome! He has his own flats boat and knows the water. On that trip we had 6 hook ups, and although none were landed, we faught a few of them for more than a half hour. All it cost me was a plane and a rental car for 3 guided days of fly rod tarpon fishing.

So.....did I jump at the chance when he called this year? Unfortunately, I've put off too long getting a jointreplacement in one of my big toes and standing all day either fishing or poling the boat is definitely out. Pretty bumbed out, and pretty ticked at myself for waiting too long.

So.....hmm.....I don't have to stand all day when fishing for walleye on the French, so I'm taking my one son up to Cranes on the French instead. I love the French which I first fished in 1966, and have been quite happy at Cranes. I was already planning to go there for our annual trip with my two boys in July ( although only one of them this year as his brother is in Iraq), and then with some pals in September. But, what the heck.....what's wrong wth another earlier trip? This retirement gig sure is nice when ideas like this come up.

So...long story short.......anyone fish the opener up there and have any reports?

THanks in advance.

I fished off the dock in Jarmot near Alban, no takers. We had been pretty busy cleaning, mowing and puttin the docks in and when we were able to get the boat in the weather went south. Cold and rain and windy.