Boat Engine Help please!

lovetofish

Just went out to try to tune my boat because it wasn't running quiet right. And noticed i had no water flow out the back of the engine. So i took off the two covers for the water inlets and saw little pieces of rubber (which i assume is the water pump fins). Does anyone know where the water pump is or how i get to it. I am mechanically inclined so i'm pretty sure i can do it myself with a little guidance.

ps. i have a trip planned for sunday, so i'm hard pressed for time

Thanks guys.

lovetofish

If the impellar has broken into small pieces, be sure to watch your temperature after you install the new one as these bits can restrict water passages and plug thermostats.

before you install the new one run some water thru the tell tale hose to clear out any of the broken pieces ... a water balloon filler works well to fit into the end of the hose

I did the impeller today... No success. The impeller was badly burned to the water pump housing and unfortunately i only bought the impeller :wallbash: I did what i could with getting all the rubber out of the housing and i think it turned out pretty good. But i still couldn't get flow through the head of the engine. I tried first with the water ears and once in the garbage can, both with no success. I took off the bottom end after each attempt to see how the impeller was doing and it was fine. I did have water coming out through where the exhaust comes out and when i used the hose i could get water to flow through the engine and the lower unit (eliminating the chance of a clog somewhere. So i'm thinkin it has to do with the housing for the impeller or the gasket inside the housing (they must have gotten really hot when that impeller melted like that). Any ideas or thoughts? thanks

lovetofish