Questions for people who live in rural areas NF

danbouck

Living in the country is awesome but as some have stated it does have it's negatives. We moved from the City to a rural property 3 years ago. Our well is a 40 ft dug well and on a good week has about 14ft of water. We have really learned how to conserve water...we have converted everything from toilets to taps that conserve water. We have thought about a new well however for the cost of filling it the odd time it runs out...just can't justify the cost. Gas and Milage has gone up on the vehicle's and there is no such thing as poping out to the store. No late night walks and no parks for the kid to play at. We run electric heat and wood most think we are crazy but as someone mentioned above they spend $400 a month on oil, with our high efficiency electric furnace our complete electrical bill runs $400 a month in the dead of winter....everything in the house runs on electricity. There is no option for gas and propane conversion costs would be high. Internet is Rogers High Speed Hub which is not cheap...but we don't spend a lot of time on it and it's mostly for work so not a big issue.

With all the above aside, we are 100% happy and I could not imagine moving back to the City. We take many walks in the bush, keep our selves busy with the garden and other projects (fire wood, clean up, building things and maintenance on equipment) and my Daughter is involved in it all. Fresh air, no noise and low traffic. I'm lucky enough to work from home most days so my commute concerns are low. It definately keeps you busy and healthy. Never bored.