Kicker Advice

Jigs

I would suggest that you go with a 9.9, especially in the currents. And it's not just the current, but also the wind that is a pain to deal with ... especially if you are following contours. I can barely turn the boat in high winds. Additional weight? Just go straight! Tiller? Remote? I choose to sit at the back with a handle extention rather than fighting the wheel. As mentioned earlier in th thread, a Control King would be nice. It's hard to dial in those 'ideal' rpm's from time to time which can make it frustrating. Manual/Electric start? If you can, go electric ... they have about a 6 amp alternator to work with. The system is effective if you have devices hooked up to the cranking battery (aerator, plotter, sterero, etc) or if you night fish with your lights/aux on, while the main is shut down. 2/4? Go with a 4 stroke, although about 30 pounds heavier for the 9.9 class. Tee into the main line with its own bulb, perhaps using a separator. Power trim? Nah! Would be nice though.

Hope this helps.

I have an 8hp. Wish I bought the 9.9

kicker.jpg

Thanks, great stuff.

If you decide to upgrade and that 8 ends up looking for a new home let me know. ;) It would look pretty good on my Lund. And I like the idea of the tiller/extension. Never heard of the control king thing until now. Looks like a pretty cool gadget.