Fifty Point

coolwater

I've taken the grandkids here three time this season but all they catch is small panfish, sunfish etc. around the weedy edges. I'm told there are trout in these ponds as well. Does anyone know how deep the ponds are and if there are areas more productive for trout? The kids certainly don't mind catching all the little fish but they keep asking me how come they don't catch trout. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I had an Uncle who used to like fishing the ponds. He would set up a slip float and cast a small hook with a bit of worm or a couple kernels of corn( and sometimes a combination of both )towards the middle. The key he said was to have the bait suspend about a foot or so the bottom. It was pretty deep near the middle, hence the need for the slip float.

The pond is stocked with trout and is only stocked early in the season there. There are most likely some in there still but not alot until they stock it again.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I used to fish there many years ago and that was the situation then. The important thing for them is to get them out for a day and have some fun, when they get older, we can get a little more serious.

I had an Uncle who used to like fishing the ponds. He would set up a slip float and cast a small hook with a bit of worm or a couple kernels of corn( and sometimes a combination of both )towards the middle. The key he said was to have the bait suspend about a foot or so the bottom. It was pretty deep near the middle, hence the need for the slip float.

Its funny you should say that as that's exactly what I planned to do while the kids were fishing close to shore. Slip floats are not a problem as I have lots of them but I think you have to go deep on these hot days to have a chance of getting a few of what's left from the spring stock. Thanks

No problem. I would give the marina a shot. Not where the boats are as you can't fish there but if you take them towards the light house just off the rocks you can catch lots of rock bass and perch and there are lots of Largies there.

Edited by Live2fish85

No problem. I would give the marina a shot. Not where the boats are as you can't fish there but if you take them towards the light house just off the rocks you can catch lots of rock bass and perch and there are lots of Largies there.

That's not a bad idea, never thought of taking them there. Thanks