Gals ‘n’ Pals Haliburton 2012 results

Dave Bailey

What a beautiful day! Weather couldn’t really have been any better, warm but not too hot, a light breeze, and sunny. Great day for fishing! The word around the lake is that things have been, well, ‘different’ I guess is the best way to put it. Our weather has been a bit weird ever since the fall, so no doubt the aquatic life has been affected. But it only takes one fish to win a tournament, and fortunately most returned with more than that.

Nineteen teams participated this year, just one short of my self-imposed ‘happy minimum’. Twenty five would be nicer, thirty would be great, anything more and it’s too much like work! Quite a few new participants this year, and they placed well. Let’s go from bottom to top, just for the drum-rolling drama of it all.

5th place went to Lara Buziak and husband Mike, who brought in 10.10 lbs of fish, their biggest being 3.85. 4th was taken by Heather Mulholland and her partner Cameron Neville, with 10.45lbs.

In 3rd place were Nicole Gardiner and Craig Lanegger, with 11.05 lbs, including a nice smallmouth that weighed exactly 4.0 lbs. 2nd was occupied by newcomers Jessica Durkee and her father Greg, with 11.55 lbs.

Okay, what are the Ruttles eating for breakfast? Once again, Judy managed to overcome her annual handicap (husband Terry, nyuk nyuk nyuk) and top the scales with 12.90 lbs, including the biggest fish of the day, a 4.95 smallmouth.

A tip of the cap to regulars Jen and Barry McCrackin, who were just pipped at the wire by a measly 0.10 lbs, with a total of exactly 10.00. You should have let your dog have a go Barry, my old eyes wouldn’t have recognized the teeth marks.

There are three big shoutouts that I want to include. When trying to book the town dock there was conflict after conflict, and things were looking grim. RPM Marine stepped up and offered the use of their facility, and Alan and crew were extremely accommodating and helpful. If you are out that way stop in and give them some business, they are a great facility and you’ll be glad to know that you have a place on the lake that will service you.

Number two goes to regular participant Chris Wetzel. He somehow did a number on his back a short time ago, and competitive fishing was not in the cards. But his young son Braeden really was bugging him to get some fishing done this year, so Chris approached me with an idea that morning. We would put Braeden on the scoresheet, and let him weigh his catch, and he chose the number 66 as his entry. At the end of the day he returned with 4.85 lbs of bass, including a 1.65 as his largest. Nice job Braeden! And Chris, you did something wonderful for him, you’re an example to fathers everywhere!

And number three goes to the Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast on Canning Lake. When our room reservation was totally forgotten by the Dominion Hotel in Minden, Sally and Jan's place was a very nice, and highly superior, alternative. If you ever want a nice getaway in beautiful surroundings, and a place you can truly feel at home in, you can't go wrong by staying there. Luxurious is understating it, magnificent would be better!

Lara and Mike Buziak:

Buziak25.jpg

Jessica Durkee:

Durkee25.jpg

Judy Ruttle and her BF:

Ruttle25.jpg

Braeden and his haul:

Braeden25.jpg