Cannon Mag 5 or Mag 10

muskymatt

Its apparent one of my downriggers is kaput, the housing is disintegrated and there are none to be found. I'm running Cannons and like them, so I think I'll stick with them.

I'm not into spending $1000 + so I've narrowed it down to either the mag 5 or the mag 10.

I'd like some feedback on these 2 models if possible and if the telescopic arm is worth the extra money.

Thanks

I got 2 mag 5's in May....I have maybe 150 hours on them so far.

I got them cause my old man used cannons for over 20 years and has never had an issue with their "old" technology.

The 250 ft/minute retrieval rate is so darn fast compared to their old technology.

They have a feature where they stop at the water line automatically. They stop so fast that they bounce a good 6-8 inches, which puts alot of strain on the cable. I went over a wave just as the rigger stopped, so the ball was out of the water when it bounced....and the cable snapped. Lost a 10 pound ball last week when that happened. Watched my fish finder and saw the ball drop all they way to 147 feet down, as I stared at my wallet (terminator kit: $25, new cable isolators which don't come in the terminator kit which require a special order for the auto stop to work: $20 from bay distributors, new line release: $10, and a new 10lb shark ball at $60)

The pulley system on the end sucks compared to their old models...if there is slack in the line when you bring in the cable, the cable has a tendancy to come off the pulley, requiring you to remove 5 screws to disassemble the pulley head to get the cable back in the track. I keep a philips screwdriver in the boat just for this reason.

Other than that they are excellent riggers.

I would not get the telescopic arm unless you need the spread.

I would have bought scotties if I had the time over.

Want to buy mine so I can go get the scotties (I am in Ottawa also)?

Edited by Crunchy

I got 2 mag 5's in May....I have maybe 150 hours on them so far.

I got them cause my old man used cannons for over 20 years and has never had an issue with their "old" technology.

The 250 ft/minute retrieval rate is so darn fast compared to their old technology.

They have a feature where they stop at the water line automatically. They stop so fast that they bounce a good 6-8 inches, which puts alot of strain on the cable. I went over a wave just as the rigger stopped, so the ball was out of the water when it bounced....and the cable snapped. Lost a 10 pound ball last week when that happened. Watched my fish finder and saw the ball drop all they way to 147 feet down, as I stared at my wallet (terminator kit: $25, new cable isolators which don't come in the terminator kit which require a special order for the auto stop to work: $20 from bay distributors, new line release: $10, and a new 10lb shark ball at $60)

The pulley system on the end sucks compared to their old models...if there is slack in the line when you bring in the cable, the cable has a tendancy to come off the pulley, requiring you to remove 5 screws to disassemble the pulley head to get the cable back in the track. I keep a philips screwdriver in the boat just for this reason.

Other than that they are excellent riggers.

I would not get the telescopic arm unless you need the spread.

I would have bought scotties if I had the time over.

Want to buy mine so I can go get the scotties (I am in Ottawa also)?

PM me a price, we'll talk