Georgian Bay Lake Trout

dbick

Hey all!

I just finished some searching and didn't notice much on the topic of Downrigging or fishing for Lake Trout on Georigan Bay.

I frequent a campground and cottage there and have fished in the area near the Killbear Lighthouse and just wanted to ask a few questions and start a basic resource for this topic with info like when, where and what, temperatures.

So if you have anything to add...or better yet, have been out this year already please feel free to share some insights!

Thanks alot!

Dan

Actually last year was my first experience catching fish while downrigging. It was a great experience, with 3 of my cousins and friends in the boat we took off to our destination. We had picked a shoal as our place to focus on and started setting the riggers to our chosen depths; each with our chosen weapons on the end. Before I was done setting up my rod we already had a fish! It was a 19" lake trout, real nice looking fish. We marked the spot and did figure eights around it and the fish were regular - about every 30-45 minutes we caught one, the last one being a thick 26" trout. Everyone caught a fish and then we returned home... a little later than all of our girlfriends thought, but still victorious!

The big fish was caught on a trout coloured rapala, all baits were at 60', and were caught between 8-11am Canada Day weekend!

Cheers!