Portable Fish Finder

Oryx

A friend and I were able to get out fishing for a few hours Sunday morning in his 12' tinny.

We launched at Frenchmans at 7am and trolled in front of the Nuke plant for a couple of hrs. The lake was glass. Loved it.

We ended up catching one fish, absolutely hammered the Live Target Smelt he had on and bent 2 hooks and took one hook off the treble! Jumped 3 times on the way to the boat, I called my wife to say thanks for the new net she got me for fathers day.....cuzz without it, there was no way this fish was getting in the boat!

The problem of the day was his fishfinder. The transducer was busted at the mount, it was only reading depth, and that was sporadic at best.

My Question is, Which would be the better buy? He has an opportunity to get a used Humminbird 190c portable or a new Humminbird 160c portable (budget is an issue)

These are around the same cost, but which one would be better. The reason for portable is he is in and out of a couple of different boats and is selling his tinny in a couple of months and does not want the hassle of installation and the removal.

Does anyone have any insight on these 2 models, and which would be better.

Here he is with his catch.

fish.jpg