Gowganda Lake

blacklabel

Thinking of going to Gowganda Lake for our annual trip, anyone have any information on the fishing ? We would be going the first week of June next year. I have heard the surrounding lakes are good but not sure about Gowganda Lake. Any info would greatly help. Thanks

We've gone there the last three years. The fishing on Gowganda Lake is tough, but the fish are there. We fished the back lakes and the fishing was good to excellent. If you like bass, Hangingstone and Frypan are unbelievable, the access is down a logging road and to get to the boats is steep decline- not bad going down, but a tough slog going back up (it's worth it for the fish). Obushkon has BIG bass and good sized pike and walleye. We never fished Stumpy Lake (terrible access road-not for the faint at heart) but I heard from those who have that the walleye fishing is great. We stayed at Lookout Point Camp. The owners Vicki and Larry make you feel right at home and the camp is spotless! By the way there's no closed season for bass. We went the second week of June last year and the bass fishing was great!

I've stayed at Auld Reekie Lodge; Gowganda is a TOUGH fish! We did okay trolling either side of the big island in the main basin. Frypan was a great lake, we did well for some BIG walleye and pike in there. If you like smallmouth you gotta hit Elkhorn Lake (rough road in but you can ATV or 4x4 it) best bass fishing I've ever experienced.

Edited by addy79

We stayed at lookout point also and Larry and Vicky were the bests hosts for sure ,, we only stayed on the main lake and we caught bass the other guys did pretty well there and caught quite a few walleye on main lake ,, we went out the first night and straight across from the camp on a point and caught are only walleye in first minute of fishing for our boat and that was it for our boat and the walleye ,we heard also the back lakes are great .