Earth week

taper

I am not sure if it is province wide or just here in the London area but it is earth week. There is a great young girl at my work who has taken the time for each of the last 3 years to organize a clean up of roughly a 1 mile stretch of a local stream. The stream runs through a park and splash pad and gets a lot of traffic. This is the first year that I could go and help make a difference. There were about 50 people that made it out, all employees and there families. I would say we had from ages 2 to 55 covered. It only took about 2 hours to clean up and then the London sanitation department will come by and pick up the garbage. One of the employees offered to pick up all the metal and recycle it rather than seeing it go to landfill. We managed to find a lot of trash along with a Knife, hypodermic needle, 1 car tire, 3 truck tires and 4 or 5 shopping carts. When we were all done it was noticeably different then when we started. Here are a couple of quick pics I took, there not the best but it gives you an idea of how much junk we found.

gallery_682_227_6903.jpg

gallery_682_227_55434.jpg

well done!

i grew up in london. which park is that? it's always nice to see people getting their hands dirty to help out the planet.

btw, earth week (and earth day - apr 22) is observed worldwide (since 1970).

take care

doug