Spanish river help

bucktail

Just wondering if anyone out there has any expierience with fishing the Spanish River around openor.

I will be in that area for the first week, we will be down stream near the town of Spanish. I really want to get my walley on!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Edited by bucktail

I stayed at Blue Heron resort years ago. Fishing was slow for me and my friend so we got a guide the one day that put me on my PB 28" eye. All we did was drift the shore line with a jig and worm and constantly varied our depths from 10-30'. My friend stayed there the year before we went and he caught some decent pike by trolling.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

There are 3 launches down there, one at the municipal marina, one at Mitchell's and one at Vance's. Go upstream from any of them and look for a spot on the river that has old pilings lined up on one side. Everyone gets their early season walleyes in around that area. You'll see lots of boats there but there's usually room for one more. If you ask where you launch, you'll get the same directions no doubt.

I've been doing a spring trip with some guys from work now for a few years up there.

The fishing can be great but it also can be tough. Depends on what the water temps are. I'm hoping this year our timing is right.

The usual stuff works nothing fancy really jigs and worms and worm harnesses are the go to, but I'm finding myself trolling alot more with rapalas and other minnow baits up there.

As for locations, well if they are in thick just follow the swarms of boats...LOL Like Bob said the pilings seem to be a good area and further upstream all the way around the next rock face corner. If the walleyes arent in the river yet try the first couple bays out from the river usually a few kicking around out there.

Good luck

If you go exploring outside the river mouth, watch the weather. It doesn't take too much of a west wind to bring 10 foot rollers into the river mouth. If you should get into a situation with big waves like that, match your speed to the waves and try to stay on top. If you get down in the trough, you could be dragging your lower unit in the mud. The river mouth silts up pretty bad and I have no idea when they dredged it last. Ask the locals. If the walleyes don't cooperate, come up here and I'll show you where to get some nice trout and pike. We're only 45 minutes from Spanish.

I'm thinking this year will be a good year. Last year was great. Some of the more productive areas are open (FMZ 14) and I'll be there this weekend....PM when things get closer and I'll point you into a few directions. YOu have to be careful...as these waters sit in two zones with two sets of rules! Can get tricky!

...on a side note, I've need had success on the chain of lakes Waterfalls sits on. Lots of camps and pressure, but there's a bit of a rock face across from the lodge where I've caught a few eyes from and there are a lot of hammer handle pike to be had around. Haven't been in ten plus years though! FISH TV made it look good....but I think they spent a lot of time on back lakes with ATVs. Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a blast but I'd concentrate on the Spanish River and North Channel over the Tube/Kecil/Mud/Maryanne chain of lakes...but that's just me.

There is also a branch that goes off to the south near those pilings. A log shuts off a part of the flow down that side trip and just above thar constriction can be pretty good.

That branch that goes south there is the one the drivers pushed the logs into back in the day. It goes down into Boom Camp Bay. At the time, the pilings went right across the main river channel and they had platforms on top that the river drivers could stand on with their pike poles to steer the logs into that channel. In the bay, they'd make up the log booms and they'd get towed out through Little Detroit Channel. The original town and sawmill were on the east end of Aird Island and only accessible by boat. That was long before the Trans Canada Highway was built.