Weekend Warrior

Jer_H

Hi all,

I'm trying to update/upgrade my current tackle selection, mainly rod/reel. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some options for a couple of purchases I plan to make in the near future.

I mainly fish on Lake Scugog and have had the most success fishing a worm on heavy weed edges, and topwater frog in the pads. I'm starting to research rods specific to this application and am looking for any suggestions. These would be used mainly for bass, and the occassional walleye.

I use both spinning and baitcast. These would get light to moderate use, mainly on weekends. Looking for mid-range $$ options. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

If it were me, I'd look for last years Shimano Compre or Crucial rods on clearance. Might still be able to find some, somewhere.

Otherwise, I would take a look at the "lower end" St. Croix lineups - Mojo Bass, Triumph, Eyecon, Premier.

It also sounds like a baitcaster would be most suitable for you. I don't use them much, so can't really suggest anything.

6'6 or 7' medium heavy with 7.1 ratio Bait caster.

Exact combo I would suggest that wont break the bank. Shimano Curado 200E7 ( Can be found online for $130 ) and a MOJO bass rod. I would think the 7ft "spinnerbait" rod would work well. I know its slated as a spinnerbait specific rod, but thats a selling point, I have this rod and use it for MANY things. I would spool it with a 30LB braid.

TO sum up.... Curado 200E7, St. Croix Mojo 7ft "spinnerbait", 30lbs power pro. Final set up should cost in the ball park of $250 plus tax.

I would consider that combo a "mid range" cost and set up.

EDIT*...... You can save a few bucks by going with a Shimano "citica" ..again you would have to find online.

These shimano reels have been replaced in the new line up and I WOULD NOT suggest buying any new(2012), less then $200, reels from Shimano.

Edited by Lunker777