Pfleuger Patriarch and Walleye rod.

KShea

Hey guys new to the board here, first post but I thought i'd share a tidbit on the new patriarch if anyone is interested. Do most of my shopping at bass pro and sail but live in Cambridge so i like to do some research before the drive. Was looking for a new Walleye reel and was thinking of the static ci4, but looked at others like the patriarch as a backup. So Friday I drive to Sail ( they're prices were better then bass pro ) took a closer look at the static. Very nice but i couldn't get past the handle, its rounded instead of a paddle and couldn't get by it. So i looked at the patriarch and man it was nice. So I talked to the guy about reel.size as I wanted one comparable to the shimano 2500. With the Sail catalogue and the pfleuger website said that the 9535 had the same line capacity as a 2500 so I picked one up.and headed home. When i got home I started to admire this beauty and noticed it looked alto bigger than my other 2500's and upon further inspection ( the line rating on the reel itself is kind of hidden due to the design ) I noticed that the line capacity was significantly larger ( 200/8 compared to 140/8 ) which is closer to a 4000 series. Double checked pfleugers website and sail catalogue and they were both wrong. Returned the reel and exchanged it fir the 9530 ( a beauty ) so anyone looking at these reels make sure to double check the reel itself as there seems to be some mistaken info out there. On another note, just getting into Walleye, newer to Ontario and most of my gear is fir bass. Any recommendations on ONE rod to go with this reel to best go after these fish. Ill get others as i can afford them but one at a time for now lol. Any help would be great. I think trays enough rambling for a first post.

Cheers

Wow, you drove all the way to sail twice for a reel but never considered buying a rod at the same time? Check out the fishing store in kitchener and save yourself the hassle. Prices are not any better at sail or bps.

As for a rod tho, you want something lightweight to balance with the patriarch. Really tough to say what action to get unless you specify how you plan to fish for them. Boat? Shore? Jig? Float? Crank? Jerk? Etc... I have several walleye/ bass rods for specific applications. From ML to MH power and fast/ x-fast action.

Lol the story is even longer than i wrote had gone to bass pro first to do a price match and get a rod at the same time but they tried to tell me the reel ( 9535x in the sail catalogue and 9535 at bps ) was different when they in fact were the same so I didn't buy either and went to sail and decided i was going to buy a bit nicer rod than first intended but had to wait for the cash. Will be fishing from a boat mostly casting and jigging , don't troll much ( especially the way you really should lol) and have no idea what 3waying is. like i said new to the Walleye game just want something multi purpose was looking at the st.croix rage in a 6'8 medium with a extra fast tip, so thinking something 6'6 to 6'8 medium or ml with a fast or ef tip just not sure if im thinking about third right lol

Not sure what your price point is on a rod, but I like to buy anything that is lifetime warranty. If your price point is 80-120 I would go with a Shimano Clarus or Compre. If you really want to splurge and spend 200+ then St Croix Avid or better.

Another important thing to keep in mind is customer service if you do happen to break the rod. You want to buy it at a store where they have reps that come by to drop off warrantied rods. I didn't think about this when I bought my St Croix avid, and had to pay 40$ to send it to Wisconsin 6-7 years ago when I broke it. The lifetime warranty has been well worth the extra money for me as I have broken 2 compre's already as well that were replaced under warranty. When the older rod lines get discontinued they do send you the current line of rod.

Now if I could just stop breaking my reels when trying to get my lures back when snagged :wallbash: