would this actually work?

DanTheMan

I'm pretty sure the show mythbusters looked into that and a few other things to increase mileage. The acetone trick didnt work. The car got WORSE fuel mileage from what I remember. The other things he did will help, but are things that should be done anyways (other than removing the jack/spare of course)

A friend of mine swears by mothballs (naphthalene), he drops a couple in the tank every time he fills up. It doesn't double his mileage but he does better than I do with basically the same type vehicle. I'm thinking of changing vehicles soon and I believe I'll try it.

I read this thread and imagined a bunch of people trying and maybe ruining their cars so I did some research.

Here is a MUST READ article before trying this:

http://www3.telus.net/metro/tests/acetone.htm

Someone actually tested it and reported on it. Seems to have damaged his car. Last paragraph is all you really have to read.

-Jen

On reading that, it sounds to me as though the test was never performed. Sounds like he ran into problems before he ran the tank low enough to do a proper test (in his opinion). To me, the idea of running a car on a litre of gas at a time until it runs out has got to be the most bizarrely (is that a real word?) stupid idea I've ever heard.

What kind of gunk are you going to suck up out of the bottom of your tank into the fuel system? With today's electric fuel pumps, you have to be careful too, they run dry and they get pooched pretty quick. Strikes me that a reasonable test would be on a two-way trip, same distance and the first leg without the additve. Then top up the tank adding the additive and noting how much fuel it took so that you can compare with how much fuel it takes to top up when you get back.

Dan I did not check the link I know the answer right away and its NO the habs will not make the playoff this year you need to get your fishing rod out like the rest of us no matter how much you wish it aint workin this year bud.

LOL :Gonefishing::Gonefishing: