Ice Rescue Story

johnnyb

Came across this while looking for more coverage on today's Simcoe story....what an incredible read!

470_bc_brittney_bethany_jordan_walk_120308.jpg

Kids rescue each other after crashing through lake ice

08/03/2012 9:05:44 PM

ctvbc.ca

B.C. Mounties are applauding a group of Lake Country children for their bravery when they worked together to avoid death after breaking through the ice on a frozen lake.

Twelve-year-old Jordan Funk was playing with his friends Bethany McIsaac and Brittney Herriot on frozen Wood Lake last month when the ice broke under his weight and he plunged into the frigid water. He was unable to pull himself out and began to fear the worst.

"I might die. I'm scared, I'm cold, my toes are frozen. I couldn't really move my legs," he said Thursday.

His friends quickly rushed to help.

"When we realized he fell through we ran over there as fast as we could and started tugging on him," 12-year-old Brittney said.

"But then I moved to the side and I stepped on the thin ice by accident and I went ‘kerplunk,'" 11-year-old Bethany added.

Her arm was in a sling at the time and she was struggling to stay afloat. Only Brittney, the smallest of the three, was left standing on the ice.

That's when Jordan decided to sacrifice himself. He dove under water to push Bethany from underneath, and he and Brittney were able to get her out.

"I think he was really brave to do that," Brittney said.

"He could have died," Bethany added.

Jordan was still trapped, but little Brittney managed to pull him out far enough that he was able to get himself out of the water.

Police say Jordan's "selfless" act saved Bethany's life and Brittney's actions were crucial to getting the young hero out of harm's way.

The children's parents say they're disappointed that the kids were out on the ice in the first place, but pleased with how they acted after finding themselves in a deadly bind.

"Ultimately I would like to focus on the fact that they did exercise unselfishness and try to help each other," Bethany's mother Yvonne McIsaac said.

Brittney's father James Herriot said he's proud of the young girl.

"She's very brave. Brittney is the type of person that just kind of leaps to people's aid before she thinks," he said.

As for the three survivors, they say they've learned their lesson and won't go out on the ice again.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Kent Molgat