Rainy River Ice

manitoubass2

Well, I've managed to get out on the ice a few times now near home. I thought it was gonna be a tough year for ice fishing, but, although the temps are still hovering around zero, we have lots of safe ice.

I drilled 6 holes last night, as I had time to fish for a few hours. I tried various spots, just checking the thickness. I had 22" near the current, and about 25" in the slack areas.

We had planned to have a few people join me last night. So I went early and got things set up, since we were short on time. Weather network said clear skies and it was about +3.

After getting set up and wetting two lines, I couldn't find any takers. Tried a few different plastics and spoons, but still couldn't locate any active fish. After an hour, I gotta text saying everyone else backed out. Bummer. But I'm already out, so I'm gonna keep fishing thumbsup_anim.gif.

Just around dark, I could see some clouds rolling in. Never though much of it, as those clouds often look darker than they actually are with dimming light. Turns out that was a mistake, lol.

Within 5 minutes, it was pitch black and snowing so hard I had a hard time even finding the shoreline! Good thing I was close to home and know the area.

Caught 6 little walleyes one after another, right as the storm approached. All under 10" though, but at least I got some bites.

I'm heading out again tonight for a few more hours. Hopefully the fish will co-operate

That's a lot of ice...

Go get em

Hopefully I can get on them right away. I'm using live bait today instead of plastics.

It is alot of ice, but just a few weeks ago it was 8-12". And it's been very mild, so I was surprised the ice was that thick.

Here is a pic of last night. A few minutes before the storm, and then during the storm...

before

Feb012012fishing019.jpg

Feb012012fishing022.jpg

after

Feb012012fishing024.jpg