Now Salting Minnows

Hooked

Now that many of ya's gave me some great suggestions for storing live minnows, was going to start working on the dead ones. I have salted some, but not sure if I used enough salt? Plus I just used regular salt, I do though have some course salt. I know if I use too much, they'll just shrivel up. This is obviously not rocket science, but to those who do salt their minnows, do you just put a bunch in a bag, throw some salt in and shake it up like you're doing wings?

Hooked, I have been salting minnows for 25 years. I use fresh minnows right from the baitshop. All I ever used was rock salt that you use for sidewalks. I use margarine containers. Put a layer of salt in the bottom first, then layer of minnows. Keep layering until it is full. Put the lid on, then into the freezer right away. After they have been there for a couple of days or weeks, it doesn't matter. Take them out and empty the brine out. Now you just keep them in the frig. When you get out fishing, dump the brine again and let them sit open so the minnows dry out. After you put them on your hook, they re-hydrate immediately. Worked for me on Nippissing for years! Hope this helps! Paul. :Gonefishing:

Take them out and empty the brine out. Now you just keep them in the frig. When you get out fishing, dump the brine again and let them sit open so the minnows dry out.

Very good info so far guys, thanks. And Paul, when you say dump the brine out again, I thought you emptied it already when you took them out of the freezer? And is there a problem keeping them in the freezer for a couple months?