The carp, the fly, and the fall...

iCarp

The season was off to a slow start for pretty much every species, including carp. That cold weather and rain just wouldn't go away. Whilst late April usually heralds the start of some excellent stalking for carp on the fly, it wasn't until mid May that I saw any carp at all moving into shallow water, either at Erie or Hamilton. Even then, whenever there was a bit of nice weather for flyfishing- calm and sunny- I had to work. Of course. And I sliced the tip of my thumb off which left me unable to do much for a fortnight or so. Finally, I had June 1 off, my thumb was reasonably healthy, the forecast was favourable, and I vowed that I would hit the water for a day's fishing.

When I headed out that morning it was certainly bright and sunny. Sadly, though, there were gale force winds whipping across the harbour from the west- whitecaps rolling across the bay and crashing along Eastport Drive. There was no point in heading out to Erie in this wind and the Harbour was equally unfishable. Gosh darn it all to heck! Then I remembered a small tributary that usually has clear water, is sheltered from the wind by high banks and trees, and has never produced for me in the past. But it was the only option so off I went.

When I got there the water was boiling with carp. Spawning time had arrived. Scores of carp were thrashing on the shallow and weedy ledge right off the bank, but spawners are only interested in one thing and that one thing is not inhaling my wooly bugger. But there were also carp cruising about and some idly munching around the bottom. I waded in to try my luck.

And almost got knocked off my feet. Up to my knees in water I was surrounded by spawners that bashed against my legs, hitting me from all sides. It was a very unique sensation, being assaulted by large and frisky carp. I moved to the edge of the shelf verging on deeper water and escaped the orgy.

With so many fish about, targeting any single carp was a challenge. I would pick out a nice and plump beauty mooching along the bottom. I would cast, strip and drop my fly in front of her. Six other carp would swim past and pull my line, block my sight, or otherwise annoy me. Most casts, therefore, were ruined one way or another, but I did manage to get into a couple of fish.

The first carp took the fly on the second cast, having ignored it the first time but not spooking. It didn't run, but it definitely wouldn't come in. It just stubbornly and slowly pulled line. After about five minutes I got it within reach and tried to put a lip lock on it. Wow, did my thumb hurt! No callus there anymore, just raw new skin. The carp headed back out. I eventually hauled it back in, tried the lip lock again, watched it shake me off and head back out.

Well, third time's the charm. I got the beauty in again- maybe 18-20lb- bent down carefully at the knees and grabbed her lip. My left foot, perched on the edge of the shelf, slipped and then slid down into deeper water. Naturally, I flipped onto my back, hit the water, and dropped the carp on my chest. Boy, was I wet all of a sudden. Fat lot of good these waders were doing when I was horizontal- they definitely work better on the vertical.

I don't know which one of us was more surprised. I do know that the carp obviously thought that it would be too embarrassing if her friends saw her with a dolt like me and decided to bugger off. Which she did. A not uncommon feeling amongst the ladies in my life...

Oh well, I'm not one to let my own ineptitude hold me back and so I persisted for another half hour or so at which point the carp all headed out to deeper water. During that time I cast to a dozen or more, but had the interference problems or met with indifference from my chosen target. I did manage to catch this little beauty. She was about 31" long and very broad across the beam.

carponthefly1.jpg

carponthefly2.jpg

Too true, fish_finder, carp have to be the most challenging and satisfying fresh water fish to try for on the fly.

Rod Caster- That's why I always wear a wading belt. I fish the Grand a bit and it's one thing to get your shirt wet, but I wouldn't want to fill my waders. Especially not in that current.

Hi, Victor- I was wondering who would be the first to comment about the cap. Bit of a fluke as I couldn't find my usual headgear that morning. Don't tell anyone, okay?

Edited by iCarp