Fishing Report for the past few days

GreenCanada

Hey All,

So I got a chance to hit up my honey hole from an old stomping ground this past weekend and it didn't disappoint!

I got out around 10am on Saturday in Caledon and went out to my old honey hole expecting a nice mid-morning fishing adventure. I didn't really expect a ton of action as it was beautiful fishing conditions for me, but as it often turns out, not super great for catching. Well I was pleasantly surprised, when I had a few small rainbows follow my lure to shore. They didn't seem to be in the hitting mood, so I switched it up from my go to Rapala to a spinner in a pattern I had never tried, but have heard great things from my brother. He's caught countless trout across the globe with it, including recently in Tajikistan while conducting field research.

After a couple of casts with this newly tied on spinner, I had a really strong strike and a good 10 minute fight on my new ML 6'0" St. Croix spinning rod (thanks for all the input last month!) After a valiant fight I landed this beautiful 18 1/4" rainbow. I truly have never seen a bow this pink and glowing. After landing this beauty, I caught a solid 14" bow just downstream in another great hole. The rest of the day consisted of 7 more rainbows from 7"-12" from another location downstream, which I have not fished for a couple years. All in all, Saturday turned out to be not only great weather, but a great day for fishing!

Rainbow resized.jpg

On Monday, I thought it was only fair to give my current home range a chance to compete for my fishing time, so I hit up the Speed River in Guelph, which I do typically 4-5 times a week. I have been finding the number of pike in the Speed to be decreasing the past couple of years, but I have still managed to catch quite a few pike. This beautiful specimen is what I would consider average for the Speed. My shoe is about 11 1/2" in length so it gives you an idea of the size. I also caught about 7 OOS smallies, but whenever I would catch one I would move spots so that I wasn't pressuring spawning pairs. No photos of them since they go right back in the water asap.

(will post photo in reply)

Lastly, for all those carpers out there, I tend to see this every time I go to a secret spot in Guelph. Though, there was an exception this time. I saw about 25-ish carp in an area no bigger than an above ground swimming pool, with the majority of them likely topping 20lbs. I kid you not, I see carp all the time in Guelph, but I saw a pair of carp in that group that easily topped 25lbs. I don't fish for carp, but I'm definitely going to give it a try for one of those beasts. The picture is quite poor because it was from above and with a blackberry, but if I can get another photo I'll post it later.

(will post photo in reply)

Anywho, I hope you enjoy!

Nice man, I'm from guelph too and fish the speed quite a bit.

I'm gonna hammer it this saturday for bass. I've also found that the pike population seems to be on decline in town, but downstream of the hanlon theres some really good water if you have access to a canoe. Some beasts in there pushing 40 inches.

The carp on the otherhand are always around, and loads of fun on the fly!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm from Guelph too. Fish the speed occasionally. Caught a decent smallie last year above the dam at the bend on Wellington. Carping is a good way to stay motivated on slow days.

Didn't realize there was anyone else from Guelph on here

Yea I sometimes find a few small pike in the same area, though upstream of the river run centre is difficult but good fishing.

Hey guys. I'm from Guelph too. Fish the speed occasionally. Caught a decent smallie last year above the dam at the bend on Wellington. Carping is a good way to stay motivated on slow days.

Didn't realize there was anyone else from Guelph on here

A few years ago I found it easier catching pike in the Credit, then trout. The last couple of years pike have been few and far between in Caledon. Granted, I don't fish it as often as Guelph. The pike in the picture is from the Speed.

Where do you catch pike in Caledon??