Gar Tips

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering who has some tips to share for gar fishing. I have never fished gar before and in the last two seasons, have sited several nice specimens in the same waters I fish pike and muskie. I would love to sink some hooks in one if possible, any tips and tricks for a gar fishing newbie would be appreciated. I understand that the physical characteristics of this fish make catching it on traditional lure presentations pretty difficult. Thanks in advance!

Millhouse

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering who has some tips to share for gar fishing. I have never fished gar before and in the last two seasons, have sited several nice specimens in the same waters I fish pike and muskie. I would love to sink some hooks in one if possible, any tips and tricks for a gar fishing newbie would be appreciated. I understand that the physical characteristics of this fish make catching it on traditional lure presentations pretty difficult. Thanks in advance!

Millhouse

This is just my opinion. This will likely not be what you want to hear but my advice would be to not bother - they have very little pulling power at all, (but they are easy to catch and are acrobatic).

I have had good success with small rapalas and streamers - smaller hooks and baits work better for keeping them hooked.

They stink too.

I wanted to like them but carp are just waaaay better fish on a fly. I won't even cast at them anymore.

Landry

This is just my opinion. This will likely not be what you want to hear but my advice would be to not bother - they have very little pulling power at all, (but they are easy to catch and are acrobatic).

I have had good success with small rapalas and streamers - smaller hooks and baits work better for keeping them hooked.

They stink too.

I wanted to like them but carp are just waaaay better fish on a fly. I won't even cast at them anymore.

Landry

Thanks for the heads up landry. I will likely try just the same to say I did and hopefully catch one and get the bug out of my system. I dont see how given the size of the fish I saw, that they would not put up a fight and be a challenge to land...

Thanks for the heads up landry. I will likely try just the same to say I did and hopefully catch one and get the bug out of my system. I dont see how given the size of the fish I saw, that they would not put up a fight and be a challenge to land...

I hear ya.

I tried it because I wanted to add it to the bucket list

They jump like crazy and are very aggressive

Just twitch that bait near them and they shoot out and snap it up