Lake Ontario Steelhead, June 17th

lunders

Hi all!

Just wanted to share a little story about my boat troubles this season. And a then a happier story as I'm finally able to enjoy the boating/fishing season!

I launched my boat mid-May, for the first time this season. Had winterized it myself, and thought everything should be fine. Man - was I wrong... Started up, and checked the engine compartment. Bad news. Cooling water flowing out the side of the engine. Shut it down, and pulled it out of the water. Turned out I hadn't managed to get all the water out in the fall, it froze and pushed one of the core plugs. Was still not sure about the condition of the block...

My boat is a 20 ft bowrider with a mercruiser inboard. To replace the plug that popped, engine has to be lifted up. So - I called a workshop I have used before, and agreed to bring the boat to them. I get on the road, and start hearing bad bearing noises from my left trailer wheel... Not good. Turned around, and drived slowly back to the marina. Just 500 metres, I figured I would be fine. Man - was I wrong. Again. All the sudden the wheel started wobbling - then BANG. Off it goes. Rolls across four lanes and stopped on the sidewalk. Luckily didn't hit anyone. So there I am - On the Lakeshore downtown Toronto with a trailer with no wheel. Lots of cops and tow trucks later, we get it on a flatbed and drop it off at the shop.

They repair my trailer, replace the plugs and test the engine. Lucky me, the engine block wasn't cracked. So, I'm back on the water a week into June. With several lessons learned, and apx $1500 out of pocket.

I'm sure the most of you have good maintenance schedules on your boats and trailers, but for those who may not, please learn from my mistakes. I was very lucky to not cause a bigger accident, and potentially hurt people.

A quick summary: If you're winterizing your boat yourself, make sure you know what you're doing... If not, have professionals do it for you. Second: Don't ignore your trailer maintenance. Make sure to inspect and repack your wheel bearings at least every year....

Now to the fishing part: Have been out a few times, but not much luck so far. Fishing around the Toronto Islands for pike, and trolling the big lake for salmon.

But yesterday my luck changed. I was trolling over apx 200 fow, with dipsy divers and spoons. Had them down apx 40-50 ft. Got a solid hit, and landed it fine. A beatiful acrobatic fish.

Lake Ontario Steelhead June 17th 2011 (640x480).jpg

Thanks for reading!