Cranberry Lake

Swan_Dive

Hey guys, so I was just wondering if any of you guys have any information about Cranberry lake that is just off of Monck Rd. I have a co-worker that is a little bit of a story teller and he has been talking about this lake and how it's private and because it is private there is no regulations. He says they have Bass and Walleye in the lake but the walleyes are stocked but paid for by the 30 residents of the lake. He says that out of the 30 land owners, there are only a handful of cottages but people pay 1 million for 10 acres but yet they don't all put up a cottage. No one else is allowed to fish the lake except land owners and the MNR is not even allowed in there to regulate the lake. It is in zone 15 but he says it's open season all the time. Just wondering if you guys have any info that could help me out because I said fiction, all water is regulated and the limits for zone 15 would apply. He also has this junk in his head about ice fishing and how they are not allowed to ice fish on cranberry becasue "ice fishing kills a lake". Maybe he is right and this fantasy lake is real but I think he is talking pooh and just wondering if any of you guys can help me. Oh ya you catch a fish "every cast" (fiction)

thanks for the help fellas

Swany

I worked on that lake last year.Yes it is private and all the land is owned by the association.The only access is via a gated road residents only.While chatting with the homeowner he actually brought up the subject of the MNR doing a survey with the association a few years back to determine why walleye stocks were dropping.We never really finished the conversation so I didn't get the outcome.One thing i did kind of gather was most residents are there to cottage and it is a very quiet lake which is why it's so much to buy in.I will say this,there are lots of lakes all around that have open access with all the same species and rather than get in to a a big Kaffufal over this one go out and enjoy what the others have to offer.Dalrymple,Youngs,Head,Mitchell and Balsam Lakes are all close and the walleye fishing is good in all.

Kerry

I worked on that lake last year.Yes it is private and all the land is owned by the association.The only access is via a gated road residents only.While chatting with the homeowner he actually brought up the subject of the MNR doing a survey with the association a few years back to determine why walleye stocks were dropping.We never really finished the conversation so I didn't get the outcome.One thing i did kind of gather was most residents are there to cottage and it is a very quiet lake which is why it's so much to buy in.I will say this,there are lots of lakes all around that have open access with all the same species and rather than get in to a a big Kaffufal over this one go out and enjoy what the others have to offer.Dalrymple,Youngs,Head,Mitchell and Balsam Lakes are all close and the walleye fishing is good in all.

Kerry

Thanks for the reply, I am not actually looking to fish it, I just work with a guy and his dad owns land out there so he was telling us about this and it honestly sounded like he was telling stories (which he is know to do) so I just wanted to get some more inforation on it. I didn't think that a lake could be that private and not have regulations. We are trying to get him to take us out there because he says it is awsome fishing but he is always tip toeing around the idea. But thanks for the help, if anyone else has anymore input on this situation let me know

Swany

A good friend of mine is the manager of a private reserve encompassing about 70,000 acres, with over 50 lakes. None of the lakes is actually private and all fishing regs, including slot limits, are enforced by the MNR.

It is extremely rare in Ontario for a lake to be private. Owning the land around a lake does not make it private. Occasionally, land will get surveyed in such a way that the landowner ends up paying tax on the actual surface area of the lake. In that case, the lake itself may be considered private. Otherwise, lakes are public property.

In the case of of Cranberry, it looks like you could paddle into it from the Prov Park to the west. If someone were to paddle into it through navigable waterways, they would be well within their rights to do so.

My understanding is, if it has a creek or river (in flow or out flow) then it is considered a public waterway and all regs would have to be followed..I could be wrong...