poor man's knot tester

muddler

KnotTester.jpg

Hope this picture works.

Use 6 or 8 lb mono.

1. Cut a chunk of unused line about 6-8 feet long. Tie what should be (in your opinion) the strongest knot to one end of a barrel swivel. Wrap the other end of the line around a chair leg or some other sturdy nonabrasive object that can handle the load about 3 feet from the swivel. Secure with masking tape to the leg.

2. Tie your test knot to the other end of the swivel. Wrap the loose end of the line around your hand (put the glove on first) with about 3 feet between the swivel and your hand.

3. Pull steadily until one knot breaks. CAUTION: PULL AWAY FROM YOUR FACE/BODY SO THA OF THE KNOT BREAKS CLOSEST TO THE CAIR, THE SWIVEL DOESN'T HIT YOU!. IT HURTS....TRUST ME.

4. Repeat about 10 times to get a good idea which knot is stromger.

5. Repeat with different knots to determine which one is best for your usage.

I do this every couple of years to settle on the best knot for me.

muddler

Edited by muddler

I have a little microscope that I got from the high school my Dad worked at. Every now and then I tie some knots and look at them under the scope to make sure I'm doing them right and the line isn't cutting into itself in some way that it shouldn't. I also sharpen a few hooks and check those out to make sure my sharpening technique is still good.