Fishing fast waters

eggshen

Hello!

:whistling:

Question for people that fish rivers and creeks.

What's the best way to catch fish on a fast flowing river like the Grand River near Kitchener/Waterloo? It's only 1 to 3 feet deep in most places and the current will take your bait/lure fairly quickly down stream.

Should I just let a worm on a hook float down stream and pull it back in after 30 yards?

Target fish = ANYTHING :clapping:

Thanks for any tips. :worthy:

What i do in fast creeks is tie some weight at the bottom of your line and then tie the hook couple of inches above your weight.

That way if you snag on a rock or anything like that, you`ll only loose your weight.

You constantly have to keep your finger on the line so you can feel the fish bites, the only problem is when your weight is bouncing at the bottom sometimes it feels like a fish nibbling on your bait.

Good luck.

What are u fishing for at grand at this time of the year??

I dont remember last time i cought a fish around Kitchener/waterloo area

Once bass season opens, I fish the Grand in the Kitchener, Brantford and Caledonia area myself Egg. It can sure be challenging.

I wonder what you mean by fast water. Most rivers set up as:

1) ripple( fast and shallow )followed by

2) run( a bit slower and deeper ), followed by

3) pool( slowest and deepest ).

This pattern repeats itself all along most rivers.

I'm guessing you may be challenged by the ripple areas and my advice would be to move down to the runs and pools. Again, this is just a guess.

In the runs, you can cast spinners( like Mepps Aglias )and toss plugs( like Rapalas ). Toss 'em upstream and as you retrieve your bait, it'll work it's way down the run as it's coming towards you. Be sure to cover all the areas of the run as well as the pooling area( s )you see.

If it's live bait like a worm you're fishing, just keep adding split shot a foot or so up from your hook 'til you feel your presentation ticking the bottom every now and again. Cast upstream and retreave slightly along the drift so there is no slack in your line.

Same thing if you're fishing with a float above your bait. The faster the current the more split shots you'll have to add between the bait and your float to help keep the bait down infront of the the fish.

Remember, ajacent to all that quick water are current breaks with slower water. Don't ignore those areas.

Goodluck.

Edited by Mike Pike

• 2 weeks later...

I fish a couple miles south of Caledonia...I just bring out my float fishing gear. Rig it as if I am steelheading, slip float and staggered weights,and just put a worm and hook. I always get fish like this. Never fished way up near kitchener area thou.

I used to fish a very fast river for smallies, using the current to cheat. Simply cast out a very small spinner and just hold it in the current or move it forward like a jig.... If you match the current to the size of the spinner, the water makes it rotate and it will attract bass. Works best if you can leave the spinner beside a break in the current where the fish might be resting.....