Rainy River

manitoubass2

Well, after having a really lucky early spring, my first set back to the fishing season.

The water has been steadily rising for about 10 days, but in the last two days, Little Fork/Big Fork rivers let go, and well.... The river is flooded, literally double it's depth and volume, and there is ice and debri everywhere. Our shack is literally 1 ft from the water.

Anyhow, I realize most of the board is from southern ontario, but if you had plans to visit rainy river before April 16th, I'd cancel.

I'll get some pics up from yesterday and today as soon as my kids are of to school.

Good morning all

Yeah, sure, you're just trying to keep us away from your honey-holes. Screw that, I'm putting on a par of chest-waders and going... holy crap... just a sec... glub, glub, glub...

lol, I wish.

I'm done fishing here for abit as well, no way I want 20ft sections of 20" thick ice smashing into my boat, nevermind the thousands of trees cruising around, hehe.

It's the highest I've ever seen it. I tried to look it up, but found two different values. On the US side of Manitou rapids, its measured in real time. It says it's currently averaging 15.8ft deep (mean average since 1912 is 6ft roughly), and it's pushing 45,900cubic ft3 per second (average since 1912 is about 16,000). It's states the highest ever recorded was 34,000 cubic ft per second.

On one other site, not sure about reliability, it said the highest ever was 2001 (which I don't remember???) was 51,000 cubic ft per second.

Looks damn cool though, even though it's halted my dailly fishing excursions :angry:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/uv?05133500