Hydralic brakes or electric brakes

linweir

if the hydraulic surge coupling is still good stick with the hydraulic. its a good system and not vehicle specific. to rebuild hydraulic brakes i find it time and cost effective to replace the entire backing plate and brake assembly.

if the surge coupling is junko then you might consider switching. the difference between a hydraulic and standard coupling more than covers the cost of an electric brake controller for your vehicle. electric brakes are considerably cheaper than hydraulic brakes to purchase as well. it is also easier to wire the trailer for electric brakes than to 'plumb' it for hydraulic brakes and then bleed.

other than their adjustablitity and lower cost i find no benefit to electric brakes. you lose some towing options as well (using your buddy's truck instead or yours, or loaning the trailer). lots of opportunites to screw up wiring the bargman connector and controller. (most common mistake means that when you turn on your left indicator the brakes lock up!)

surge brakes work well, no special wiring, work on all vehicles. my personal choice but it really comes down to a matter of opinion, and of course in your case how many parts you can salvage from your rebuild.

good luck any questions let me know.