How to Clean Aluminum Boats

baironhorse

I wanted to give the side of my alluminum boat a clean up as it is showing grim wear and tear...I found the following article suggesting to ues TSP. Check it out and let me know what you think? Is this stuff safe? Do you know any other safe alternatives? I have some nasty water stains on side of hull and want to jazz things up. Here is the ariticle let me know?

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Cleaning Aluminum Boats

Before cleaning your aluminum boat it is important to remove all grease and oil from it's surface with a degreasing fluid.

TSP, available at most hardware stores is a good choice for cleaning aluminum boats. Refer to the TSP manufacturer's mixing ratios.

Before mixing, be sure to put on safety goggles and gloves to prevent irritation to your eyes and skin.

The boat needs to be wet before applying TSP. Wet down the side of the boat thoroughly with a water hose. Generously apply the TSP mixture with a sponge, working from top to bottom, wiping with horizontal strokes. Rinse the cleaned area with plenty of water. Don't allow the TSP to dry on the surface of the boat. If after cleaning you notice algae stains, repeat the process. Trouble areas may require 2 or 3 cleanings.

You can dry your boat with a cloth if you wish, but it isn't necessary.

If your aluminum boat has been painted, clean with mild soap and water only. After drying, apply a coat of carnauba wax to protect it's surface from the elements.

HERE IS ANOTHER LINK I FOUND:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4463855_clean-aluminum-boats.html

My dad was a repair mechanic in the RCAF for 20 years.

That was one of the primary products they used for general cleaning of the aluminum skins on the planes.

I used TSP to clean the aluminum trailer that I bought off an old lady. She had not scrubbed down the outside of the trailer in fifteen years.

A couple of hours of TSP and a good brush and hose and people were asking what I was using to make the trailer look like new again.

Go for it.

I use it.

Edited by splashhopper

interesting...so I guess the TSP won't harm the aluminum? Do you think its a good idea to apply a coat of auto carnuba wax afterwards?

My dad was a repair mechanic in the RCAF for 20 years.

That was one of the primary products they used for general cleaning of the aluminum skins on the planes.

I used TSP to clean the aluminum trailer that I bought off an old lady. She had not scrubbed down the outside of the trailer in fifteen years.

A couple of hours of TSP and a good brush and hose and people were asking what I was using to make the trailer look like new again.

Go for it.

I use it.