Painting a Boat

ADB

I recently bought a used 14' aluminum boat with a trailer. I got a pretty sweet deal, but in return, the boat needs a bit of work.

The trailer tires have been replaced, and the floating floor they had installed has been ripped out and replaced as well.

The next step is to have it painted. Having it professionally done would cost more than the boat itself, so that is not an option. I'm going to paint it myself. However, I'm getting so many different answers on the "right" way to do it.

I worked as a painter this summer, so I know the ins and outs of painting. Beyond properly prepping the boat - sanding and power washing, what type of paint should I use? I've heard everything from normal exterior paint (don't think so), to proper "marine" grade paint, to Tremclad. In terms of primer, I think a "standard" oil-based metal primer should be fine, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone does this before. Any advice?

I've already taken some "before" pictures and pictures of the progress so far, and I'll be sure to post pictures of the new paintjob.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by ADB