Fishing trip to Manitoulin Island.

StylinCatch

So this is the low-down,

Tomorrow I leave on a 10 dayish fishing trip to the largest freshwater island in the world, yes Manitoulin Island. I have been going almost all my life except for about the last 6 years. Other then Mindemoya lake, and Manitou, I dont have any prior knowledge to any lakes on the island and to what they hold. PLEASE for you fellow viewers, ANY tips, tricks, even lake names with the species in them would be SO appreciated. Hot spots maybe if your generous enough aswell ;) Thanks so much for reading folks and wish me luck! thanks again.

i was there for the august long weekend. i fished manitou with no luck. only 1 bass. obviously i didn't know where to go. i tried for lakers but i'm not really setup for them. we tried. people were landing fish around us.

i spoke to an old local at the lake (he sells bait at the launch in sandfield). sucker lake and bass lake (in sheguindah) apparently have walleyes in them.

i went to sucker but i couldn't get my boat in the water unless i drove right into the water out quite a bit. a tinny or maybe a 16' would be ok.

I fish manitou quite a few times per year. I go out of Sandfield and head straight across to the far shoreline (to the right side) that is visible. You can troll along that entire shore for lake trout all day long if you have downriggers. If not, head up the shore about a mile to where it comes out to a bit of a point and there is a bit of a bay visible and you can use heavy jigs and jig off bottom for them while drifting. There will be alot of boats in close proximity to one another (mostly locals that know the lake) so the area where the fish are is usually no secret. I've had the most success trolling with the downriggers at 75-80 ft over 100-120 ft of water with orange coloured spoons with a bit of flash. Jigging seems to produce the bigger fish, however, trolling produces the most fish. I've heard there are some walleye in there, never caught any myself.

The smallmouth bass start coming in to the same spot as the lakers along the shore around the long weekend in september and i've caught them there until thanksgiving, you may start getting some now, hard to say. I catch those as close to shore as I can get along the steep rock face. You can get within 20 ft of the shore and be in 40ft of water. Simple jig head and gulp tails are all you need to catch those, and gulp craws work extremely well also. You'll know they are there because your jig won't hit bottom before the fish hits.

Hope this helps.