A good lip gripper???

wellis1840

Just came back from a week of shore fishing at Lac Grand near Val--des-Monts. Caught a lot of smallmouth bass ranging from 3 to the biggest being 7 pounds. Prior to this, the biggest fish I had caught was about two pounds (discovered fishing the end of last summer) on the Ottawa and Rideau Rivers. The treble hook in a 4 pounder was in its mouth in such a way I could not get my thumb in to hold it. I used instead my still to be christened "Berkley TEC Pistol Trigger Grip". The fish thrashed around jamming the grips while I quickly took the hook out. I had to bend back one of the jaws to release it unharmed. Have now read several customer reviews stating the same problem has occurred to them. I am now in the market for another grip BUT not a "Berkley TEC Pistol Trigger Grip". Heading up to Georgian Bay in two weeks.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Bill

P1020550.JPG

I am after one for toothy critters, NOT bass. I used the pistol grip this time because it was an easy solution for the presented problem. Don't feel comfortable putting my fingers near the gills for fear of damaging them with catch and release.