Boring ice perch report

Hey folks,

Been meaning to write this for a few days but it's been hectic...

After much advice-seeking on this board my father in law and I finally hit Simcoe last Sunday for our last ice session of the season. I polled you, you provided great votes and great feedback and I was pumped up to go...

Hit smokeys around 8am for minnows and parked on the ice at the Bonnie boats launch ramp. Began the hike out along the "ice road" with sleigh and all the gear in tow. Couldn't believe some of the guys driving out in 2wd vehicles, getting stuck halfway out - nuts!

The wind was HOWLING so we stopped halfway, walked 20 paces from the road, and with a nonchalant "this looks good", starting carving up some holes. Dropped a minnow rig down immediately for the pops in law before setting up and it got nailed before it hit bottom - good sign. He promptly pulled out two keeper perch on his "pickerel rig" in the first 30 seconds of fishing - a good sign....

Then took the time to set up the camping tent, fold-out chairs, etc... and nothing. The little ones came and went but not much action over the two hours we were there. Took back a snack of a dozen 9"+ fish but packed it in well early due to the FREEZING conditions. Took two pics of the setup but I haven't had a chance to load them yet. Will do soon.

Sorry for the boring report after all that polling but it was a tough day to focus on the fishing out there in the cold. All-in-all I can't complain - it's been a great eye opener to ice fishing this season. I learned lots by trying things and talking to all of you - thanks for that.

Now I'm headed for a balmier locale - Cozumel on Sunday. I'll be there for a week with limited tackle but I'll do my best to pull something interesting out of the surf. Promise a full report on my return. Tight lines folks!