smoking with weber one touch gold

smally21

okay fellas broke out the new charcoal grill this am. using charcoal briquettes with well soaked maple chunks sitting on top. remarkably this bbq held a steady 220 after about 30 mins of playing around. so i sat some pork ribs in my homemade rack and tended to them lovingly for about 4 hours. my intention is to take the smoked/cooked ribs up north and finish them on the grill.

so the question is this, it seems the meat part of the ribs is cooked quite well, obviously not quite done but that is what the grill will finish, but the untrimmed fat seems less finished shall we say. best description is like when a steak is cooked at too low a temp and the fat doesn't render. so if i continue to smoke the ribs, cooking over indirect heat, will the fat 'render' more or do i require more temp??

thanks fellas.

okay fellas broke out the new charcoal grill this am. using charcoal briquettes with well soaked maple chunks sitting on top. remarkably this bbq held a steady 220 after about 30 mins of playing around. so i sat some pork ribs in my homemade rack and tended to them lovingly for about 4 hours. my intention is to take the smoked/cooked ribs up north and finish them on the grill.

so the question is this, it seems the meat part of the ribs is cooked quite well, obviously not quite done but that is what the grill will finish, but the untrimmed fat seems less finished shall we say. best description is like when a steak is cooked at too low a temp and the fat doesn't render. so if i continue to smoke the ribs, cooking over indirect heat, will the fat 'render' more or do i require more temp??

thanks fellas.

Four hours should of cooked the ribs enough.....cut the rack in half and see if the meat is pink all the way through...pinkish meat shows how far the meat was smoked through...so if only the outer half is pinkish then it's only about half cooked (smoked). Another way I judge by is on a rack of ribs are the bones sticking out about a half inch or so....if so there done. Also under smoked ribs will be on the tough side while eating.

Hope this helps.

Bob

it sure does. the ribs cooled and the somewhat unpleasant appearance of the fatty areas faded. ribs were cooked thru, hadn't started pulling back from the rib ends yet. the ribs had only been dry rubbed at this point and the smoke flavor showed right thru. tasted like it smelled you know? smoke flavor was a little strong but that was a wood choice easily corrected. overall im very happy and the intoxicated yuks im serving wouldn't know the difference anyway.....

I smoke my ribs for 6 hours. Did you open the smoker to look every so often? That will have a huge impact on your timing---the old saying "looking's not cooking" is one to remeber. I agree--the bone ends should be showing. Sounds to me like you have another 1/2 hour or so to go. Keep it indirect and you're good to go.

Edited by rpsmith