Viamede Resort Area Stony Lake - Newbie seeking advice

rover1.5dx

Hi Everyone,

My company is having a summer event for the day at Viamede Resort. A good portion of the group wants to try their luck fishing out of some pontoon boats. Myself and a buddy will rent a fishing boat and be a little more serious.

I'm not looking for your hotspot...just looking for general fishing ideas and/or areas close to Viamede Resort.

We're putting on a friendly fishing competition and everything is catch and release. People are just interested in action so bass, walley and panfish are the target. No live bait.

Question: any suggestions for types of structure to look for? It's supposed to be sunny and hot this Friday so I was thinking bass might be the best species to target in the day and walleye early in the morning...

Should we focus on weed edges? Deep drop-offs? etc...

I'll be bringing my Lowrance X67c portable and I have a handheld GPS with Navionics hydrographic chart map for Stony.

Thanks in advance,

Rover

Just got back from 2 full days of fishing Stoney for walleye. It is only the second time I have fished this lake, but I am not a walleye rookie by any means. Spent a lot of time in the main basin out from Viamede fishing everything from weedlines, drop-offs, shallow to deep, mornings, days, evenings, using jigs, crankbaits, spinners and even got desperate to try tipping with worms. Caught oos bass and plenty of perch, even some huge sunfish, but no walleye. The water is very clear, which probably makes it tough on the walleye, but that's why I tried deeper water with deep diving crankbaits. Maybe try the area to the west of Viamede in the back bays near the main channel, the water looks a little more stained in that area. Let me know if you figure them out. I probably won't go after Stoney Lake walleye anymore. Went out on the lake I live on last night and caught 2 in the first 15 minutes.