Natural Sports - 4th and 5th chances given

In an earlier thread or two I spoke negatively of Natural Sports in Kitchener. My first three trips there were either extremely negative or luke-warm unimpressive.

I didn't completely rule them out and have been there twice in the last ten days, and I've found that the service, assistance, conversation, and general experience has been much much better. One trip, in particular, was great. Two other guys were working and they were extremely helpful, spent a lot of time showing me different rods, and were willing to discuss locations and conditions. I got some stuff on sale (marked way down) and my disposition towards the store started to change. I was there again this evening, and the trip was positive again. Got another good deal or two and was met by some other employees and the owner himself who were all nice, helpful, and knowledgeable.

I'm posting this to give them their just desserts. If I'm going to speak negatively after negative experiences, I should speak positively after positive ones. I still don't love their Bass tourney, but the people themselves seem ok. They are back on my tackle shop map and I will go regularly to check their sales, merchandise, and to talk fishing when I'm in the area.

Still, in my mind, the bar-none best fishing store in the KW area is Fishing Fanatics. These guys really care and really like to help out their customers. Every employee there has something great to offer and understand the principles of service. I'm hoping to get out on the water with a few of the employees in the near future too. A great group.

Regardless, kudos to Natural for changing my mind. They'll see some (and maybe a lot) of my business in the future.

Cheers,

Ryan

Both those stores can provide good service and once in a while a good deal here and there. from my experience though i would have to say Rainbow Sports gets the nod. interesting you didn't mention them?

I'm very aware of Rainbow Sports and Chad's tremendous efforts at that store. I was actually the one that put Rainbow Sports in the directory of this website and I have continually recommended them on these boards and at the riverbank (search Rainbow Sports for yourself).

When I rediscovered fishing 5 years back, Rainbow had 100% of my business. Nowadays they have about 30%, with Fishing Fanatics having roughly 60%, and other stores having about 10%. Chad is extremely helpful and he is extremely passionate about all-things-angling. Price points, however, just aren't as good as other stores (Raven split shot pack $7.50 at RS, $5 at Fish Finder = big difference, Suffix Siege $14 @ RS, $10 @ Fish Finder = big difference. Close to 50% in both cases - just two things I bought recently and saw the difference).

The guys at Fishing Fanatics are equally helpful, parking is better, they're beside a beer store, and they have better hours. Chad has recently started opening on Sundays and that should help bring me back when the rainclouds are out. In fact, when I bought my first fly-rod this year, it was on a Sunday at Fish Finder because Chad wasn't open, my business was geared towards going to RS for a fly-rod - turns out that was his first Sunday open).

I'm still in Rainbow on a bi-weekly basis, never leave empty-handed or disappointed, but I must say my preferences have shifted. I understand the guiding service at Rainbow is second-to-none and that Ted is the man to talk to for the Grand River fishery.

Cheers,

Ryan

I understand the guiding service at Rainbow is second-to-none and that Ted is the man to talk to for the Grand River fishery.

Cheers,

Ryan

Dont say that too loud, Ted may read this.....oh ya, he doesnt know how to reply to e-mail let alone the internet :)

Teds a good man, and certianly a machine when it comes to fly fishing knowledge and expereince. Not only is he a great fisherman but he helped turn the Grand into what it is today as a great tailwater fishery. He dropped the first bucket of Browns in that river years ago. Anyway, enough Ted hype, you get it.....I like the guy lol

You know Ryan, I am a RS guy through and through and I havent been in the Fishing Fanatics since it first opened. You have convinced me to try it out though.

Maybe you and I should discuss on the river next week sometime? drop me a line.