Iron Island - Lake Nipissing

JimC

I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has fished around Iron Island for Walleye this year, or even last year, and if so, what was their level of success?

If you have read any of my recent posts on other Lake Nipissing related threads, you will know that my buddies and I were fishing the NW area (mostly around the Hardwoods) last week, and came up nearly empty. Lots of Pike action though.

I am returning to the same area late August, this time with Family Vacation, as the main priority, but we do rent a boat and try to get in some fishing, as well as beach time.

Several years ago we ventured out to Iron Island with a couple other small boats on a calm day, and managed some nice sized Perch and a couple of Walleye. A year later, we had less success. The last few years, including last year, we were told my others in camp not to bother, as the fishing has totally dropped off.

I was also told that the reason there are no Walleye left around Iron Island is that over use of gill nets by "commercial" fishing has ravaged that area. just sayin ...

Last week we came close to heading out there, but 40 minutes is a long run for us, and anyone who fishes Nipissing knows what can happen to a glassy, flat lake, if about 5 minutes, when the wind suddenly starts whipping.

With the area we are in at only 5 - 7 feet deep this year, the prospect of seeing Walleye around where we rent in August is likely slim and none. Is it worth trying Iron Island again? At least I know there are no hidden rocks or shoals between point A and B. any feedback would be appreciated.

I am curious to know if anyone on this forum has fished around Iron Island for Walleye this year, or even last year, and if so, what was their level of success?

If you have read any of my recent posts on other Lake Nipissing related threads, you will know that my buddies and I were fishing the NW area (mostly around the Hardwoods) last week, and came up nearly empty. Lots of Pike action though.

I am returning to the same area late August, this time with Family Vacation, as the main priority, but we do rent a boat and try to get in some fishing, as well as beach time.

Several years ago we ventured out to Iron Island with a couple other small boats on a calm day, and managed some nice sized Perch and a couple of Walleye. A year later, we had less success. The last few years, including last year, we were told my others in camp not to bother, as the fishing has totally dropped off.

I was also told that the reason there are no Walleye left around Iron Island is that over use of gill nets by "commercial" fishing has ravaged that area. just sayin ...

Last week we came close to heading out there, but 40 minutes is a long run for us, and anyone who fishes Nipissing knows what can happen to a glassy, flat lake, if about 5 minutes, when the wind suddenly starts whipping.

With the area we are in at only 5 - 7 feet deep this year, the prospect of seeing Walleye around where we rent in August is likely slim and none. Is it worth trying Iron Island again? At least I know there are no hidden rocks or shoals between point A and B. any feedback would be appreciated.

good questions, Jim. I was wondering the same thing myself. :wallbash:

and of course Iron Island is a big island ... if you do go out there, where is the best place to fish? are there any shoals or structure to watch for? I bet someone on this forum has the answers?

good questions, Jim. I was wondering the same thing myself. :wallbash:

and of course Iron Island is a big island ... if you do go out there, where is the best place to fish? are there any shoals or structure to watch for? I bet someone on this forum has the answers?

Come August and if we get the normal heat this year, the only place to try for walleye is at the mouth of the French river. There is really no point looking anywhere else because they are not there. If we have a hot summer the water temperature will come up to the point where they will have to be at 40' deep at least during the day. This actually makes the fishing more predictable if you know what you are looking for. Basically humps that come up to 15-20 FOW that border deeper water over 40 feet deep. Usually during August, you will only see boats in this area from the French running straight east . Lots of humps there. Good Luck.

KingSalmon

ive been out to iron island a few times in august myself, its more of a last resort type trip as you mentioned its quite a jaunt from the west arm, we've had limited success but you always hear stories about big numbers, id be interested to hear from a few of the local guys who get more time to fish it? or is everyone just concentrating on the french come summer?