BOQ report

jimmer

Well thanks to all those that replied to my advice request, I was able to start with some ammunition. Went to Deseronto with a buddy for 3 days of fishing, long days!

Started trolling some crankbaits first thing Thursday morning in Mohawk Bay. First fish was a pike that inhaled the plug, which took awhile to remove, but the fish seemed good after reviving for a few minutes then swam away after giving me one of those famous tail splashed. Lost the next fish, but my buddy caught a couple of walleye on the crankbait and jig, then caught another pike. Trolled Long Reach with crankbaits, but the fish just wouldn't come out and play. We were looking for some of those big ones, but eventually succumbed to fishing closer to shore with weighted spinners and worms. We caught about 40 walleye the first day, 37 the next and over 20 on the last 1/2 day. There were also the odd sheephead and pike thrown in throughout the stay.

This was my first concerted effort on the BOQ and it was amazing. What a fish factory. We did talk to many other anglers and no one was catching any larger fish from what I heard. That was also coming from the tackle store. The fish we caught were up to 3 lbs.

I was also amazed that jigs and twister would not work as well as the spinner and worm combo.

We saw some of the guides out there and witnessed something that I hope doesn't happen to me to soon. The two customers were whipping out crankbaits, when we heard a yelp, we looked over to see that one of the guys hooked the other in the back with the crankbait. Ouch! However, it looked like they delt with it quickly and were back fishing. I did notice that the guy who hooked the other was actually laughing! I would have thrown him in if he hooked me and started laughing.

We were able to find our own spots away from the other boats which made it a little more enjoyable.

We have already re-booked for next year and will possibly make another trip there this year. A nice change from the Kawarthas.

Thanks to all the guys that shared spots and techniques with me.

Sounds like you guys did awesome, Jimmer...nice numbers! Did you try any bucktails??

We didn't try bucktails, but good idea for next time.

Hard to put down what works. Really wanted to stick with the plan to go after the big ones and used stoty's advice, but just couldn't get anything to hit. We watched the bigger guide boats to see if they we having any luck, but I didn't see a net come out while watching them. So off to catching smaller ones we went.