Question about fixing a crankbait

Hooked

I have this crank bait, an ukko to be exact, the good thing is it catches fish, the bad thing is it is not durable. The question I have is how to make it more durable?

First the problem, the paint finish starts to crack on it after not that much use. You can literally put a small slot screw driver in the crack and remove the entire coating from the wood body it appears. Now that I have a new to me one, I can expect the same thing I'm sure. Can I cover it with a coat of urethane or something to toughen it up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Hooked

You could coat it with a thick epoxy like devcon 2 ton. You could coat it with a thinner epoxy like etex lite which might require a drying wheel at 4-6 rpm to avoid low and high areas. Note that both of these are not UV protected meaning the clear coat would likely yellow in years.

There is also dick nites top coat (can't remember if it is Uv protected).

There was an epoxy "something 74" (possibly etex) which is uv protect but expensive. I'll look it up and get the correct name tonight when I get back from work.

edit: found it but its expensive Ultra-Glo EX-74

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=391

So although you can protect the finish with epoxy potential problem you might run into are lack of uv protection, how well the epoxy will stick to a very smooth finished lure (you might have to sand the lure a bit for the epoxy to stick) and ANY epoxy you use will effect the action of the lure. Examples would be: Might make it wobble side to side more or it might make it wobble in a slightly diagonal movement in rare cases.

Edited by Syn

It also depends on what's causing the finish for peel off in the first place.

If it's caused by water getting underneath through cracks, scratches, etc... then the epoxy will definitely help.

But, if the finish is simply not bonding to the wood to start with because of poor prep, no primer or other reasons, then the epoxy may simply delay the inevitable.

Edited by Rob