Speckle Info

BENNY

Hello out there... This will be my first post, I just found this site and its awesome, everything you need in on here!! Anyways back to the question, I am in North Bay On, I am an avid fisherman and hunter, I have fished most of the water up this way for many different species but have only recently gotten into Brook trout in the little lakes in the area, I am doing alright I guess, could do way better I am sure so I was looking for anyne out there with good winter Spec tips.... Depth , bait , stucture etc. Currently I am just using a minnow with a trebble hook and sinker.... Anyone??

Thank you in advance for any replies. And thanks for this great site.

Chris

The main trick is to keep your equipment light....meaning, fine line, small hooks, very little weight.

Start off real early in the morning close to shore in about 10 feet of water. I've caught big brookies in 2 feet of water. If no fish, then go out further from shore. Sometimes, you can find brook trout in 50 feet of water, especially in lakes that have a population of smelt.

We are not allowed to use minnows where I live, so I use night crawlers. I usually fish with 4 lb test clear mono. Not the fluorescent mono but "clear". If fishing in less than 20 feet of water, I use no lead weight. It takes about a minute for the bait to settle to the bottom and then I raise it up no more than 4 inches off the bottom. Then I slowly raise the bait and let it settle back down.

Some good places to look for brook trout are usually on the north side of the lake where there is more heat from the sun. If there are large rock faces or large rocks on shore, fish in front of them. These rocks heat up during the day and transmit the heat to the bottom of the lake. This increased heat activates insect activity.

In a lake, trout roam parallel to the shore so you can cut a series of holes leading out from shore and then you move from one hole to another. Don't fish very long at each hole. If there is a trout, it will bite right away.

When using minnows, I prefer a small single hook embedded just behind the minnow's dorsal fin. Keep the bail on your reel open and let the trout run with the bait. When it stops running, it will swallow the bait. The reason it is running is that there are other trout nearby trying to steal the bait. If the trout do not run, then there are no other trout nearby.

I sometimes use flutter spoons about 2 feet above my bait. Yes, the bait does sometimes get tangled but a flutter spoon can often attract trout from further away.

Keep noise to a minimum. No snowmobiling. If it's a sunny day, do not let your shadow cross over your fishing hole as this will frighten brook trout.

If you fish a lake for the first time.....look before you fish. Pick out the most noticeable aspects of the lake....rock faces, islands, outcroppings of rocks, small bays, inlets, outlets, narrows, points and visit these spots first. This is also good during the summer.

If you want to get them try the little bubble gum micro tubes with the the small micro jig that slides in to tube.On our last outting 2 weeks the majority of our fish were caught on these tubes .Like Dabluz said start shallow and work your way deeper if you are not getting any hits.Look at the green tube I am out of the pink colour.good luck .MTP I will send the pic in a few minutes I have to reboot.

119204.JPG

Edited by Mike the Pike

Thanks alot guys for the great responses, I guess the main thing I see is that I have my line secured to a tip-up... The fish cannot run. I will either bring a rod or rig a release so that it can take off with it from now on. Also I have not tried bait on a single hook.. right now I use a trebble hook I think they are #14's , this too I will change and see. Look like I will go and pick up some of those little tube jigs as well.

Thanks alot for responding guys I appreciate your time.

Chris