Simcoe lakers and whitie discussion

snagmaster

Hey Guys,

Have been fishing for lakers and whities through the Ice on Simcoe for about 7 years. Just recently got a calapsable ice Clam and a snowmobile to stay mobile ans warm. Was wondering other OFNers opinions on some things. I know everyone has there own way to do things and am very interested to see what others think.

1. Generally do active whities and lakers go further off points and shorelines later on in the ice season. Ive found that later in the season I have to venture further to the center of the lake (away from the main grouping of huts) to find active fish after the first two weeks in the seaon.

2. I stay about 40 min to an hour at each whole before moving if I have no bites. Is it better to stay and wait it out or leave for active fish sooner? Hard one to answer but what is YOUR opinion??

3. Do lures such as half half williams (flashy) work better on sunny days? Or does it not matter because of the low light levels down 100 feet?

4. I find I have much better luck between 11am to 3pm for whities and lakers through the ice. What are your peak hours of action?

and last but not least. Does anyone know how far out from ORO line 6 you can safely go out on a snowmobile? does the thickness of 8 to 11 inches stay consitant kms past the grouping into open water..

thanks alot guys. Love to hear what others think about this great winter sport. goodluck on the water

Edited by snagmasteral

Run and gun is a good way to find fish for sure. I get bored in my hut waiting for hours for the fish to swim past. Im pretty sure the whole lake is good and solid now. I was right across to georgina island from the oro side and found no less than 9". Actually in the middle of the lake there was about a foot.

As richyb said...run and gun is the way to go. I think 40mins to an hour is way to long to wait. It's different if you're marking lots of fish then try different presentations.

I don't really think the sunny affects the flash of the williams in 100FOW.........under a certain depth it's all the same darkness as per my buddy who dives in simcoe alot.

Quads and sleds are good to go on the entire lake in my opinion...just use caution around the shorelines and pressure cracks.