Ice Fishing Newbie

Stern Rules

I just started ice fishing but have no sonar yet. Any suggestions on what to use? I don't particularly like the flasher models. I'd rather use the ones with the screens showing the fish. I don't want cheap but definately don't want the most expensive ones considering I won't be using it all that much probably. Doesn't matter what brand as long as it's good. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last year I bought the Lowrance 522c and a 520c they are both great for the ice.

I also know that alot of people use the Lowrance for the ice here is a link to one ready for the ice

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Cabelas has the X96 on sale but its not color which I have fell in love with over the alst year

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

I know that some of the eye's that I put on the ice were just because of the sonar as I saw the eye's up 6' off bottom raised the jig and bang fish on that was very cool when that would happen.

First of all, let me just say that you are 100% correct. Stern DOES rule. I download shows and put them on my MP3 player so I can listen on the ice. Even when the fishing is poor I'm entertained.

Are you wanting to buy a sonar so you can use it in the summer? If not, I would look at flashers. I've heard good things about the Humminbird ICE models...buy the best one you can afford...you deserve it. The Vexilars are also good and lots of guys like their Marcums. It's basically a Ford/Chev/GM thing and comes down to preference.

I've been using my Humminbird 565 which is a portable LCD fishfinder I bought to use from a boat. It works OK but often I have a hard time seeing my jig or spoon, even with its so-called "flasher mode". I'm definitely going to pick up a true flasher when my wife isn't paying attention. Flashers are made for ice-fishing and fish-finders are made for the boat. You can use either one in either application, but they are slightly different tools for slightly different jobs. If you will only be using it through the ice, like I say, have a look at flashers.

I've seen some guys using a model called "Showdown" made by Aqua-Vu. I have since heard that Marcum is now making it. It is a flasher but it's display is a vertical LCD. Everyone I've talked to who has it loves the thing, and they are under $300, but I'm having a hard time finding one. I believe there's some delay in getting new models to market because Murcum just took over their production.

Like the other poster said, when you mark a fish on the flasher/finder and reel up to it and get a hit, it is really cool...and quite addictive. After a while you don't take your eyes of the screen. Have fun.

Hey Stern,

I use a Humminbird "Fishin Buddy".It is a portable unit that will clamp to the gunnels of a canoe (my first use), or a dock.It clamps with an oversize "C" clamp.I use it on the ice by lying the c clamp on the ice and sliding the unit through its retaining collar and into the hole.It's certainly not as accurate or responsive as a Vex or Humminbird Ice flasher, but it does indicate when fish are in the area.Certainly low tech but I find it helpful.

any fishfinder will work as long as you can mount the transducer so it get's down the hole and stays in the proper position. Granted, some finders are better then others but they will all do the trick. For years I used a Cuda 168 black and white finder....it's about the cheapest one you can buy at around $100. I've had a Lowrance x67c ice machine for 3 yrs and it is an awesome ice fishing finder. I was lucky enough to get mine on sale at the toronto sportsman show for $289.00.

Cruise the fishing boards/forums buy and sell areas, kijiji, and even eBay......you might find a good deal.

I bought a showdown from nature vision...nothing but great things to say.Used it for the last 2 years and has inproved my catch ratio ,especially for whities.It is very simple to read and work.down deep it is great to use the zoom to see those tough to see bottom huggers.Nothing better than seeing a fish come up ten feeet to slam your lure. Find one and buy it. Good luck Sparkus ;)